Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering conversion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by freedom, Mar 26, 2003.

1. freedom

freedom Newbie

I have a 71 K5 with manual steering. I want to convert it over to power steering. Has anyone done the conversion on a 71 and where can I get a conversion kit?

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Any JY and just change anything that's diferent.

3. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

you will need a steering box off any 4x4 from 67-80 and the matching pump pully combo. i just did one on a 71 c10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to go would be to hit the junkyard and try to find a 69 to 72 4X4 set-up (gear, pump, brackets, and hoses). Chances are pretty good the gear will be worn so you'll just want it for a core, or try it out, it could be o.k. While other gears and pumps will work just fine, using a setup from these years will ensure the brackets are correct and pulley is correct to match up to the short water pump. Also, you'll need to pull the water pump pulley and crankshaft pulley (extra grooves). Pulling it off an existing vehicle will also show you how it all goes back together. Install the whole setup and figure out what may need replace or rebuilt. Pretty simple all in all, however finding the donor vehicle might require some work. Must be a 4X4 because the pitman arms and sector shaft are different. However, I have gotten away with supplying a two wheel drive box as a core for a 4wd box. If you can round up a pitman arm, two wheel drive boxes are easier to come by if you want a new gear anyway. The gears listed in LMC, Chevy Duty, etc... are way over priced. Try to find a local supplier/rebuilder. I can get a gear in Denver from Raven for about $180 with exchange. Good luck.

5. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

When I swapped in a newer 350 that I rebuilt, I put a new water pump on it (the long style) I went and grabbed a pulley from our pulley stash for that type of pump and it lined up perfect to where the original power steering pump was (80's style water pump) ('72 power steering pump) they all lined up and are still running just fine... So I don't know as if it would make a big difference which pump you find.

6. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

My concern would be the stock brackets working correctly. I really don't know whether you could use later model pump brackets with a short water pump and have everything line up or not. Maybe you can answer that question for me. My contention is that the easiest solution is to find a complete setup and swap it all over rather than having to locate and try out different pulleys.

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Well, I rebuilt a 1980 4bolt main 350. I used that style of water pump (but a new one) along with the stock bracket and pump off of the original '72 350. Everything lined up perfect.

8. freedom

freedom Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. I will be hitting the junk yard this weekend.