Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Cooler how to?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Aug 10, 2001.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I have the AGR pump and steering box. I have read in a few posts about these that they tend to get pretty hot. So I was thinking about putting in a power steering cooler. But I havn't had much luck finding information about this. Does anyone actually make a power steering cooler, or do I need to use something else, like a transmission cooler? Also, where should I put it, and which line should I connect it to?

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Don't put a power steering cooler on it....they're wayyyy tooo small. I would put a tranny cooler on it in stead. I currently have a powersteering cooler on mine and I will be switching out to a tranny cooler soon.

Very easy, just route a hose from the return line on the gearbox to the cooler, then a hose from the cooler to the reservoir and you're done.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I put the heavy duty one on from here www.geocities.com/baja/5099

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Hey, thanks for the link. Did you use the heavy duty two pass power steering cooler or a heavy duty transmission cooler?

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I used this one www.geocities.com/baja/5099

6. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I'm running the AGR stuff, too, and will be running a cooler to keep temps down. Although the 2-pass tube-and-fin style coolers will probably do just fine, I like the stacked-plate types like these: community.webshots.com/user/robbrj

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

anyone tried using an automatic rad and running the ps return through the cooler lines in the rad

8. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

My 91 Sub V1500 with HD cooling and tow package has a simple tubular PS cooler mounted under the radiator support. Certainly not as good as a stacked plate type, but cheap in a wrecking yard, or easy to fab from steel tubing.