Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering cooler problems...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Oct 2, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So I bought a tranny cooler, strapped it on to the front of the condenser, ran the return from the box, into the cooler, and from the cooler back to the pump. Simple, right? Well I thought so.

Then I filled it with more fluid while it was running to fill all those extra lines, everything was fine. Then when I shut it off it decided to start puking fluid everywhere. A LOT of it just started pouring out of the fill neck on the pump. What did I do wrong?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

there is air in you lines, put the front on stands and crank the wheels back and forth lock to lock like 30 40 times, shoulg get all the air out. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So then was it pressurized air pushing all the fluid out after shutting it off?

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I would say that the cooler is higher than the top of the pump. With the engine running the pump is keeping the cooler full, but when it shuts off, then the cooler is draining into the pump.
    Brett

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I was afraid of that, and those mounting deals are a one time thing of course. Can you buy new ones anywhere? Was pretty convenient the first time. Hope I can mount that thing low enough, especially with a bodylift coming up...

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A few notes:

1) Cut off those "thru the rad. zip ties" off. They will cause your rad. to leak. You really should find some other way to mount it.

2) Take a look at this post I made on SoCalBigDawgs
    I used a 86 Van P/S pump that is just like a regular pump but has a hose fitting on the top insted of a cap. You will be able to raise your fill point above the cooler