Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering cooler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, May 14, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Is anyone using a power steering cooler on their Blazer? Does anyone think we should? I was helping a friend do some work on his car and saw a p.s. cooler (just a metal tube) on his Acura. We then helped another friend on his Honda and I saw another. My wife's Laser has one. I would think that with big tires on big vehicles we should have them too, but my Blazer doesn't have one, and I don't recall seeing one on any other trucks. Am I wasting my thoughts on a non-issue?? Someone please help me here!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

The last one I saw was on a 1 ton 4x4 diesel Ford. It was just a metal tube that looped from frame rail to frame rail on the support under the radiator. I think it makes sense if you spend long periods of time working the steering hydralics. Like maybe rock crawling or serious mudding.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I ran mine though the auto trany cooler that was not being used, Befor doing this I could count on burning up the pump once a year after doing it the pump has been going stromg and the fluid has stop burning, I also just changed to a mobil one trany fluid which is even better. Most 4 wheelers have some power steering cooler in the 90, and later years

4. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

excellent idea. ive just ordered a frame rail tranny cooler from summit for that very purpose. it will go between the tranny and engine oil coolers on the front of my radiator. they make them for jeeps, but they are way too expensive for me. im sure the junk yard is full of them, like on the cars you already mentioned. i know police cruisers have them also. the bottom line, heat destroys parts.

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I put my oil cooler in the left rear wheel opening, like the NASCAR guys there it get cold air, yet it does not pump more heat under the hood. The oil drops 20 to 30 deg. on a hot day (over 90) off road at trail speeds. And yes there in a protion screen over it out of 1/4 and expanded steel.

6. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

I think running a power steering cooler is a good idea. I"ve got one on my 88 K5. Traveling up mountian roads, off roading, or using a hydraulic winch all add heat to the hydraulic system quickly. Any size unit will work fine. I"ve got mine mounted up under the radiator. Hope this helps.

Don McKinney

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I just took the one off of my blazer. That thing was more trouble than it was worth. I haven't noticed any changes, other than I ain't leaking fluid anymore. I think, if I was running a milemarker winch I might want to put one on, but like I said, I haven't noticed a bit of change as far as wheeling goes.

Kyle
    89K5