Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering cooler ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by leadfoot067, Apr 10, 2002.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

putting a cooler on my power steering,i have a factory power steering cooler from a 88and newer chev,and its not very big.only like 3 inches by 10 inches.will this be enough?if not ill get a bigger one,just didnt wanna do it twice.

thanks
    shane

2. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Is it a tube and fin design or a stacked plate design? I have not seen a factory PS cooler.

I put in one that is a tube and fin design and about the size you listed. The truck has a AGR Rock Ram on it and it does run warm. After installing the cooler, it seems to have cooled down the PS fluid. The extra fluid capacity probably did not hurt either. I have not had a chance to wheel it too hard yet, but you can tell that yes it does help. If you can get a bigger cooler, it would not hurt. The only trouble is finding a place to mount it.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

How much stuff you running of the hydro? Most people don't run a cooler at all but, I'm driving a hydro-boost brake booster, power steering, and hydro-assist ram off of it. And that’s turning 42” TSLs. So, I'm mounting a stacked plate 12" x 8". I have no idea if yours (or mine) is "big enough" or if it is even necessary. You could get all technical and try to calculate a rough estimate of the BTUs you need to shed. Or you could run it with a temp sensor (or stick a thermometer in it) and watch it. I'm just "winging it" myself and I’ll keep an eye on it when things get hot and rough...

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

its a tube and fin design,im just running the power steering,thanks or the info,im just gonna put it on and see what happens.