Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering fluid nice and foamy. Is this normal at first?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Finally got my bracket installed correctly and the new PSC Power Steering pump and box in. Poured in the fluid and fired the engine up. I have installed an ORD crossover steering setup too. I turned the wheel back and forth many times. Initially there seemed to be a bit of noise coming from the pump and box. After turning it a bunch of times the noises seem to be dying down. I turned it back and forth about 10 times then shut it off to add more fluid. The fluid in the reservoir is very foamy. Did this about 4 times so far. Pump and box are much quieter but it seems every time I turn it off I can hear air leaking from the pump reservoir and it vents a lot when I pop it off. I did a search and saw someone else posted a comment in the hydro boost thread about this. Is this a normal event? Will it eventually die down as the air bubbles come out? I have a cooler installed as well which I completely cleaned out prior to putting everything back together.

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes it is normal, and yes the entrained air will work itself out after a while.