Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Flush Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 9, 2006.

?

do you flush your p/s?

1. yes, often (post up how often)

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. yes, rarely (post up how often)

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. no.

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  4. who cares? i'm nekkid and don't even flush the toilet.

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok - how many of you flush your power steering? how often? what are the negative effects of not doing this to a DD?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Flushed mine once, was on a complete new system. Just wanted to make sure all if any contaminants would come out.

3. bigchiefmudder

bigchiefmudder Registered Member

i voted no but when i took my old pump lines and box off there was junk inside the pump and lines. So when i get some time on the new stuff i will prolly drain and flush after spending the $$$$ on new stuff

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

good to do. heat kills the fluid and if you have big tires and hydro boost or hydro steering it heats up faster.

fords are the worst system for dirty. and when thay start to make the growling sound its time to flush them. and it will shut them up and act smotther.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

you have a diesel with hydro boost so it prolly cant hurt to do it more cause your runs your brakes too:eek1:

6. colbystephens

actually, this isn't in regard to my diesel rig. besides - the motor is out of that one, completely torn apart and at the machine shop - so there's no powersteering to deal with right now anyway - it's all drained and waiting to be reinstalled. :) this is actually in regard to a '93ish lexus sedan my father in law just bought. i didn't specify, b/c i didn't think it really mattered - it's always good info for future use for all makes. anyway, he had his mechanic look at it and i'm trying to decide if the maintinence things the mechanic said to do were just to make an extra buck. i'll be doing the work for him no matter the case, so the mechanic actually won't get anything. i just don't want to do something i don't need to - i hate working on little cars. i'm kinda thinking it doesn't really make that much of a difference on this car. i'll do it for him no matter the case if he wants, but i'm trying to also figure out if his mechanic is honest, or just in it for the cash. the father in law has had lots of trouble with that and doesn't know anything about cars, so i try to watch out for him. whatever. thanks for the replies.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am installing junkyard hydroboost and crossover and a cooler how would you go about flushing said power steering system?

Ira

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont flush the whole system but I usually drain the pump once a year and refill with clean fluid. I have always done this on all my cars n trucks. It must do some good because I have never had a PS pump go out on me.

9. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

How do you flush the power steering system?

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine "self flushes" all of the time due to the bad seal.

11. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude, if I get really trashed I p my pants!!

12. colbystephens

i'm very sorry to hear that.

13. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I don't flush. When I lean it over hard, or flop it on it's side, I loose a little fluid. It gets fresh fluid when I refill. That, and I have a PS filter. I would flush an old truck's fluid though when it's been in there for who-knows-how-long.:D

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

To flush a system with hydroboost:

1. connect 6 foot piece of hose to drain hose nipple on hydroboost unit (preferably clear).

2. Route hose over driver side fender to bottle on ground.

3. Fill reservoir to top

4. Start and idle engine, have someone turn steering wheel side-to-side, this will drain fluid faster. Drain a small amount at a time, stop engine, refill reservoir. Do not drain too much, the pump will make some bad sounds. I do this until the system consumes a full quart of fluid.

Anyone with a ford, especially a diesel should be well versed in this procedure. The hydroboost system for ford is no where near as strong as a chevy. One of these days a chevy pump is going on my super duty!