Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering Gear Box?? Quickie I need Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Which side of the power steering is the pressure side and which is the return. I installed a used one that I got for a pretty good deal and not sure If I installed the lines wrong. If you are looking throught the fender at the box the line closest to you is blowing fluid out around the threads of the fitting. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There is a fool proof system for that. One of the lines should have a bigger fitting on it. Be careful though, there are two types of fittings runnin around out there. One style comes to a more of a point with a flared reciever in the box and the other flare out with a point style reciever in the box. It sounds goofey but if you look close you can see the difference (I found my truck is in that don't go by a-zones compter year, 1980 with all 1979 parts)

3. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

My truck is a 79 and the box came off of a 87 3/4 ton. Only one line is leaking. I was wondering if I could put some teflon tape on it to keep it from leaking.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My truck is a 79 and the box came off of a 87 3/4 ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you change the hoses also? Cause in 81 the gear boxes were changed to an O-ring seal versus the flare fitting style. That could be causing your leaking, not a goo seal cause of the different types of fittings.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pressure side is the one that threads into the PS pump.

You can change out the threaded portion of the pumps, so that you can use the old lines on the new pump, which is a necessity if you don't change your gearbox to the newer "metric" style.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

80 was first year of o ring hoses, 79 last for nornal flared,

fittings are two different thread sizes, you cant get them wrong and the low hosze is clamped together and the hi side hose is hydraulic press made and will not come apart, it threads into back of pump