Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Hard lines!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NAUBlazer, Mar 20, 2003.

1. NAUBlazer

NAUBlazer Registered Member

Ok guys heres the problem...Im replacing the power steering pump on my 81 w/350. I'm having alot of trouble getting the hard line off of the steering box. Is it ok to apply heat to something like that, or am i going to destroy the steering box. I already tried some liquid wrench so i'm out of ideas. Thanks for the input guys
    --Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I can't say for sure on the torch, but I do know there is a rubber o-ring you need to look out for. My secret is a flare wrench (line wrench, whatever) and a few good taps with a hammer. I'm not a real big person and the hammer sure helps me out!

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

vice-grips and a cheater bar. (you may have to be creative you get a cheater bar on vice grips though)

4. NAUBlazer

NAUBlazer Registered Member

Do you guys think a pipe wrench would work? This was the suggestion from my girlfriends dad.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My secret is a flare wrench (line wrench, whatever) and a few good taps with a hammer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Few taps to the side of the box,right next to fitting.That's how my brother took off our cousins STW's hard line.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah if penetrating oil and some taps dont work then go for pipe wrench, use alot of oil if at all possible, good oil not cheap auto zone crap, go to napa and get PB Blaster, its worth its weight in gold

7. Bob Hope

Bob Hope Registered Member

torching it will destroy the seals in the gearbox. not a good idea unless you want to replace it. Do you really need to take the line off the gear to replace the pump?