Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigtread, Nov 23, 2005.

1. bigtread

bigtread Registered Member

Installed hi crossover steering, installed new 2wd steering gear box, kept existing PS pumpand truck would not turn to left without excessive effort at steering wheel. Decided to install new PS pump. Did so this morning, now truck won't turn at all unless it is up on jacks.
    I have bleed system several times, could it be bad parts? All purchased new from Advance auto. :mad: :confused:
    Any input would be appreciated.

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

not sure how you could do it as I think the fittings are different for different sides, but is there a chance you hooked up the lines backwards?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also was the box matched to the line style. flare or oring lines. with it up on stands turn the wheels by hand at the tires feel for binding.

4. log crawler

log crawler Registered Member

did you drive it at all after you installed the crossover? my frame and steering box cracked right away after i put crossover on it. when i would turn left it would stop like somethings hung up. when i yanked the wheel hard it would turn. i welded a plate to the inside of frame where steerin box is and welded a tube from there to the crossmember under the motor.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

What caused your frame to crack?

6. bigtread

I went back to my parts supplier to find out that the pump that I bought was used,just in a new box.
    Also watched sector shaft as I turned wheels by hand, it was wobbling all over the place.
    So with all that and all reman. parts for a second time, it seems to work pretty decent.
    I am concerned about my frame cracking so I have order the weld in kit, but it is going to have to wait until after the Holidays.
    Thanks for the input. :D

7. sweetk30

if the frame is not cracked you dont need the weld in kit just yet. it wont give you much at all in the way of extra strength. you need the brace kits for the average price of over 100-125 bucks. this will brace the box to the middle of the front cross member to triagulate the frame section.

brace kit on left pic repair kit on right pic. you need the left one first .

GU39001-L.jpg

GU39002.jpg

8. bigtread

Thanks for the info. I looked at the brace kit awile ago but I have never seen one installed on a truck but I have seen the weld in kits, if the brace will keep frame from cracking that my be the way I need to go.
    Thanks again.

9. sweetk30

the flat plates are for broken frames . the brace kit is supper easy to install . just remove 2 back bolts and install kit with longer bolts and ream out center hole in crossmember to fit big bolt and install. then remove 1 front bolt and install little brace. i have had a few in my trucks. all i can say for road ride and hadleing is W.O.W.

BRACE1.jpg

BRACE2.jpg

10. bigtread

Nice, looks awhole lot easier than welding in plate.
    You sold me, Thanks :cool: