Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Hoses, Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DougK20, Aug 21, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Is the return line from the box back to the pump a fitted pressure hose?

I just had the pump, box, and hoses replaced by a mechanic on Monday. The return line has blown 4 times today alone. The new return line is plain hose with hose clamps. Twice it blew the hose off the fittings and twice the pressure punctured the hose. They used the proper hose on the pressure side and of course, no problems. I never paid attention to what was there before. But, it lasted 20+ years. Since Monday, I have yet to go over 20 miles without it exploding! If it's a special hose, a part number or picture would provide a lot of ammunition aganist this mechanic. Thanks for your help in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

p.s. www.highdesertoff-road.com

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The return hose is not a pressure hose but it must be oil resistant hose so that it doesn't fall apart.

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Just a regular hose, I just replaced mine and no problems One thing i did learn is if you can buy the hose in a box from behind the counter or get the same stuff cut off there roll for half the price. Sounds to me like you may have a bigger problem, maybe the return inlet on your pump is blocked and that is what is causing it to blow.

4. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I have since learned that it's suppose to be a regular hose and clamps. That means bigger problems. True, there could be a blockage on the inlet of the pump. But, would the box allow that much pressure to pass through it and cause the hoses to explode? It is a re-man box. Perhaps wrong valving, or something. Please help! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Tell me what you think... What about the pump cap? Aren't they like a radiator cap and release excess pressure in the system? When all parts were replaced, they retained the old cap. There is a spring in those and mine was rusted thus not allowing pressure release. We put a new cap on it and so far so good. Feeling a little better after a donut and Pepsi /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the fitting on back of pump with the threads is high side and must not be clamped, the porton back of pump thats just a slip on nipple is low side and is simply clamped,

have to be crimped hose for high side,or bad things can happen, do you need a hi side hose or something ?