Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering/hydroboost continuous problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74Chev, Jan 26, 2004.

1. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I am so sick and tired of screwing with my power steering system. It has been a problem for over a year. After replacing the pump,box and all of the lines I got the steering pretty good. Recently installed hydrobooster. Came from boneyard with all hoses, everything seemed in good shape. Now the high pressure line from the pump vibrates and chatters all the time. It rattles the steering column too. It is noisy than chit inside the cab. It sounds like air, I bled it thouroughly and have driven for over a week and still same problem. At idle the pressure sucks and I have done all of the hi-po mods to the pump, it will barely turn my 35 swampers. I have to be at least 1200-1500 RPM for the steering to work good. I just tore out the steering cooler and filter because with it hooked in line it was causing the brake pedal to depress by it self and make the brakes drag????WTF?? The only non stock hose is the booster to box which I had to use 2 compression fittings to join two hoses, O-ring type that came with the booster to the old hose to the inverted flare style box. Return line is 3/8 hydraulic hose with a brass T joining them together. Please help, this problem is driving me crazy!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

OH one other thing. While I had it up on jack stands with front tires off I noticed the steering wheel is extremely hard to turn with the engine off. I mean both hands as hard as you can turn to move the wheel, this doesn't seem normal.

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Anyone??

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I can not shed much light on the hydraulic problems but you did say something that made me think of a possible problem . You mentioned that it was very hard to turn when the motor was off - have you looked at your steering stabilizers ??? they could be froze , or almost seized up causing way to much resistance . Just a thought - good luck with the problem , I wish I could help out more . Tom

4. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I will probably pull the stabilizers loose and check that out. They are about 10 yrs old but I figured they would get looser not tighter. I guess anything is possible though, thanks.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to my hell. I just got done installing dual pumps on my engine, one for hydroboost and one for steering. The hydroboost unit does not like high pressure from a modded pump. It causes it to pulsate like crazy which is your vibrating line problem... So I'm running a bone stock pump to the hydroboost and a KRC racing pump to the steering box/hydro assist. Should have the truck ready to start in a few days and I'll see if it works.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i know in my 96 dually with hydroboost it is kind of a pain to turn the wheels at idle. i have a higher stall convertor in it so i can rev it a tiny bit to turn the wheels.
    as for the hydro boost in my blazer, i have been told about the hgh pressure problem and will also be running two pumps.
    Grant

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, for what it's worth, I'm running hydro boost and a 2" ram to boot on a volume modded pump pushed to the limit. Seems to work ok for me, but I still can't turn at idle with the brakes applied. I guess I've been lucky not to experience the vibration problem. But I am also planning on running a pair of remote reservoir pumps (as soon as I feel like starting a new series of mods). My plan is to continue to run my modified pump on the steering (that 2" ram needs lots of volume) and a stock pump on the HB. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for whatever may come out.

8. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

That is some great info on the hydro not liking the high pressure pump. I think my system develops lots of pressure because the booster sounds real bad. I am going to put the stock piston and spring back in, but keep the larger orifice fitting for better flow and try that. I will let you guys know what happens. Did this setup ever work good from the factory on the pre 80's rigs??

9. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Re: Power steering/hydroboost continuous problems (Update)

Ok, I put a stock piston back into the pump but left the slightly strectched spring. High pressure fitting is drilled oversize and notched. All of my noise and vibration problems are gone but steering is very poor at idle, there is almost no assist. It doesnt work until I rev to about 1500 rpm, it does OK when rolling though. The pump is less than a year old. Someone told me to put a pump on that was made for hydroboost but all part catalogs list the same number for the pump alone. Please help, turning my Boggers like this is not fun. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, thats the reason I run 2 pumps now /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Willyswanter - could you post some pic's of the hydraulic lines / hoses on your dual pump set-up ? I am unterested in doing the same and I just want to see what others have done . Also any info that you may have would be greatly appreciated . Thanks ! Tom

12. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

What I dont' understand is why the system wont work good with all factory parts. The only non factory part on my system is the hydroboost to box line which was spliced with a compression fitting because of the inverted flare steering box and my later hydro with o ring lines. Did trucks originally equipped with hydroboost have poor steering performance, why would the factory design something like that?? Maybe my pump is a POS but it is only a year old. Is the ACDelco factory pump required to get any assist at idle or low speed? From what I can tell the pumps are the same. Any input greatly appreciated.

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I had a K-3500 with 38.5's and hydroboost and it performed great at an idle . The pump was all stock and a Delco to the best of my knowledge .

14. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Did you find a solution to this problem?

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

When I was driving the M1008/1009 (whichever of those is the 1-ton pickup) on base, I never had any problems with steering while stopped and idling, brakes on or off. Maybe there's something internally wrong with your steering box???

16. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've never had these problems with the 1008's/1009's. I'm leaning towards problems with the pump since I now have no power brakes or steering. I have the guys at Autozone ordering another one since they don't have it in stock. I wish I could find someone with the gauge and shut-off valve for testing these pumps then it would eliminate the guessing...

17. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I had a stock 80 1 ton truck with hydro boost on it and it drove fine a stalk i parted it out but kept all the parts i case i wanted to put them in my truck the pump is already in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    it is my understanding that the pump for a hydro assist brakes, pumps more preasure and volume to run the two units.

couple of thoughts for your problems

as for the hard turning at idle has any one tryed to change the pully on the pump or the pully turning the pump to speed it up at a idle /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

and for those modifyed pumps what about putting in a preasure regulator and or a volume regulator (if you can get them) on the line going to the boost that way you can control the flow /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Don't know if this helps or not.

I have the hydroboost from when my truck had the 6.2. I swapped in the serpentine belt kit from GM performance. Able to run the same pressure line to the brake booster. Used a brass tee for the returns lines. No problem turning 33's stopped on an incline and the brakes applied hard.

The is no difference in the pumps, it is the reservoir that is different. It has a fitting for the extra return line. If you wanted to use that reservoir on a 350, you would have to modify some brackets.

In the case of using hydroboost I would think that if you wanted any modification to the pump, it would be the volume and not the pressure.

19. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Replaced the pump and it works great! Not too sure why the other pump only lasted a couple of days... Hope this one doesn't go out. It has a lifetime warranty but there are better things to do than keep changing components. The four wheel disc brakes are great and I can turn the 35's with one finger. I have to say it's been a great day....so far. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The is no difference in the pumps, it is the reservoir that is different. It has a fitting for the extra return line. If you wanted to use that reservoir on a 350, you would have to modify some brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two perfectly stock 1 tons that have hydro boost and 350s and have had since GM made them. Do they use yet a different resevoir?