Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wraparound, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

87 GMC 4X4 1/2Ton

I know this question is exceedingly broad, but what the hell is my pump growling for. With plenty of fluid it should be working just fine. It doesn't even want to turn when stopped unless I rev it up. I'm thinking about picking up some rebuild kits and attempting a project that will surely end in disaster unless anyone can give me any usefull pointers. Thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If its full of fluid and growling , the pump probably needs replaced , or your belt is too loose or glazed and doesn't turn it enough at lower rpms /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

I took another look and it isn't growling, its chattering internally with no slipidge of the belts.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is to go to a junk yard and try to find a pump in decent shape. Mine was starting to whine a lot and I though I could rebuild it myself, I even bought a rebuild kit. I ended up messing up the pulley when i was tring to get it off. it would not budge. So I scrapped it and went to my local junkyard. The one i got happened to be a reman that was in great shape. I also added a cooler to the pump to keep the whine down while wheeling.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes,it does sound like low output because of worn vanes in the pump---but be sure the pressure hose isnt old and collapsing on the inside and blocking the flow at low speed--I noticed a big improvment in my plow truck after the high pressure hose blew and I replaced it--I thought the pump was getting weak,but evidently the hose was restricted some,because I had a hard time steering it at idle with the blade on,after the hose was fixed I could steer it with no effort at all--I was glad--didnt feel like changing the pump in a snowstorm too!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif