Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

i ran a search and didnt find anything dealin w/ what my problem is. i was doing some 4 wheel high doughnuts in a field the friday night (clay so it was just goin around and around it was fun as heck). i noticed when i was turing into my neighborhood my power steering wasing workin it was like manual steering. and i had to muscle it to turn into a parkin spot. next day i went to work and it didnt do it that morning but on the way home from the shop i noticed it when i started to pull out of the parkin lot. sunday i didnt go newhere b/c i had a bad hang over from the night before. yesterday morning it did it when i was backin out of my parkin spot in front of my apartment and so i was like wtf its doing it again. well today i checked the hayes manual and i check the power steering fluid and it was a lil low, so i added to it but its still doing it. im not still in 4 hi. ive got auto hubs but i know they arent locked in and i did a lil test on it and it only does it when im at idle or just above idle. the belt is thight and no squealing. just some normal seepage around the joints and what not. its like it needs and over drive pull on the pump or something. and info or help would be greatly apprecated

kenny

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Most likely a bad pump...

3. iwaxmyjimmy

any other small things it could be before i replace the pump??

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Check the belts. could be slipping, loose, or clay lined.

5. iwaxmyjimmy

im just gonna replace the pump b/c thats the only thing i can figure out b/c belts are tight and everything

6. iwaxmyjimmy

tried puttin my K5 in 4 wheel drive last night and nothing at all no pull what so ever from the front tires. front driveshaft was spinning 4 wheel low was just 2 wheel low but no pull at all from the front tires. i bought some warn hubs this afternoon and im gonna swap them inplace of the factory auto hubs. could it be my hubs that were killin my steering?

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mine was doing almost the same thing, it was a bad pump. i replaced the pump and after a couple months, it started doing it again. i completely drained the PS fluid (was burnt BAD) put in ATF as it was all i had on me and its been working great ever since.

8. iwaxmyjimmy

so the hubs wouldnt have any affect on that?

9. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

hubs won't have an effect on your steering unless (since you have auto hubs) they were both stuck in the "lock position". i had a similar problem on my truck..... well my brother in law drove it to wallmart (of all places to break down):doah: , couldn't turn right. found out the steering box stripped out. bought a new one that night and put it in..... BAM! 2 of the 3 steering knuckle studs sheared off.
    Soooo, i would replace you PS belt first. Top off PS fluid, move wheel back and forth over and over with the truck running, check fluid again to make sure all the air is out of the system and fluid is still up to par. Then Check to see how much play you have in the steering wheel before your tires actually move ( look out the window w/ the truck running) that will determine if your steering shaft has started to strip out, (or in my case both, and your steering arm studs are sheered off.)if that is the case...... new steering box. just my exp. though. These other fella's may chime in with some more knowledge for ya though. good luck!

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

if it were me, id pull the ps belt and give a good yank on the pulley, the shaft might be broken inside the pump, especially if you were rackin the Rs and crankin the wheel....

11. iwaxmyjimmy

well i put some warn manual lockin hubs on it this morning(didnt know they were gonna be that easy) and i got 4 wheel drive back and the steering is a little looser but still i think ima need a power steering pump i can here it straining, could i possibly just replace the seals it it?

12. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

not worth it, a reman pump with core isnt but 30 some odd dollars...