Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Nov 16, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

I have a leaking coming from my power steering and not sure yet where it is coming from. My question is can a leak cause any problems in your steering even if I keep the fluid up? Thanks

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Depends on where the leak is. If it's a hose, then the hose may give way causing total loss. This could be bad news if it happens at the wrong time. If it's the pump housing, then keeping the fluid level up would be alright for a while but get it replaced. Pumps are cheap (rebuilt around $50.) There is not that much fluid in the power steering system. Best bet is to find the source of the leak and get it fixed.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Jus tkeep the fluid topped off. You will know when its low, because it will be harder to turn and make noises. I got my pump for around $75 at NAPA.

90K5

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

My $.02: Replace the pump, box, and hoses for about $200. I chaced a leak on the 86 Burben for about 6 months and finally said,"Screw it! Replace it all!!!" It took about three hours, but no leaks and I have the peice of mind that it is all new(rebuilt-new).

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

5. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I noticed the damned GM pumps tended to rust-out. Fix it right, your driveway will love you!

6. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

Yea I know all about the GM P/S pumps rusting out! I'm replacing mine this weekend cause it's leaking like a siv
    all over my driveway! It's rusted through right at the very bottom of it.