Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering leakage question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I noticed a small puddle of power steering fluid under my truck this morning. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif It's been seepy for a while, but I guess it finally gave out and is to the point where I need to do something about it.

To me, it looks like the leak is coming from where the steering shaft enters the box. Is there a seal there that can go out? Because it's hard to tell and the pressure lines from the pump are only an inch or two away.

Any advice you guys can offer? If there is a seal there, do people replace them, or would I just buy a new steering box and give my old one as a core? Or should I take the opportunity to upgrade to something like an AGR aftermarket box?

Thanks for any help.

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good luck on finding the problem. I have been fighting it for a while now, I am just going to replace the pump and reservoir while I am at it. I have a new one sittiing in garage, just have to get away from this magic box and do it. Maybe tomorrow, who knows.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Does it look like this? If so you can pick up an "input shaft seal klt" at autozoe or wherever. It runs about $11. I went ahead and replaced my pump also. Just did this like last weekend. To get the seal in I removed the gear box for easy accesibilty. Then got a chisel and a hammer to loosen where the two holes are at. Once you break it loose it spins right out. Technically you should use a spanner wrench, but I had no other need for one so I didn't buy one.Be careful when you remove the end piece to not pull the worm gear out with it. There are bearings in there that can get jacked up and you don't want to fix them. I used some c-clip pliers, pulled out the clip, removed old seal and dust shield with a small screwdriver. Replaced with the new seals provided and put back together. Now it seems fine, no leaks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Throw alittle brake fluid in there, if that doesn't seal it up, then worry about replacing the seal. Mine did the same thing until i did the brake fluid trick.

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Throw alittle brake fluid in there, if that doesn't seal it up, then worry about replacing the seal. Mine did the same thing until i did the brake fluid trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I was a tad low on fluid and I put some synthetic stuff in that says it stops leaks. I'll watch it and see if it cures itself. Of course, I think I've been using that all along and it didn't prevent this.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

use 10 w 40 motor oil for now to slow up or stop thhe leaking, running oil in the p/s system will not hurt anything i ran oil in my good shape non leaking system in my 68 c-10 and several other vehicles in the past works great could turn wheel with oen finger tip in them with oil in the system, works great,.
    it should pretty much stop any leaking for quite a while til you replace seal or box

good luck