Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Aug 26, 2006.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know of a good way to get that pressure line off on the power steering pump to replace the hose? There's like no room for any play with a wrench. I heard that there is a special tool used to get it loose??(86 K-5 , 350):doah:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

2 ways..

It is a bear to get at!--but if you use the right wrench,its possible to do it without removing the pump..but its only held on by three or 4 bolts,and it comes off fairly easy..sometimes loosening all the pump to bracket bolts will allow the wrench to fit,without taking the pump right off..

I usually cut the old hose right off at the fitting on the pump--then use a 6 point socket,or box wrench to remove it..just like I remove old brake lines..you can usually sneak the new hose fitting in ,and tighten it with a wrench enough so it wont loosen or leak without taking the pump off ,or loosening all the bolts..

I made my 86 305's P/S pump fit the original pressure hose for a 250 six by using a 6" peice of 3/8" brake tubing bent to a 90 degree angle,and a 3/8" flare coupler/union --I was able to install the tube and pump as a unit,then easily thread the hose into the coupling..if only GM had designed it that way!..:doah: :crazy:

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

You are supposed to use a line wrench for those fittings.

If yoy don't have room, which you should, just pull it. Its easy...