Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Feb 13, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I know that there was a change in the power steering lines between the newer and older stuff. Is the hose at the back of the power steering pump the same for the newer stuff? I am converting to serp setup and have a newer powsteering pump i would like to use becasue i do not think the new pully will fit on the old pump

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes the low pressure hose fitting is the same.

The pressure side is not, however the fitting/valve can be swapped between the two vintage of pumps.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

how would i go about switching the fittings, is it just flared?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't recall what the fitting is on the back of the box. It's got wrench flats on it, it just unthreads. Don't lose valve behind it when you remove it.

Basically what you need to do is take your old pump, take the fitting off of it (this is the thread on/pressure side I'm talking about) swap that to the new pump, and you don't have to worry about the old style power steering box fitting...you continue to use the old flare style pressure lines.

I know on almost every vehicle GM changed the way the pump *low pressure* fitting exited the box, so I'm not sure if you will have a problem or not there. Usually not as big a deal as the pressure side since low pressure is usually mainly rubber, and thus more adaptable than the pressure side.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Like was said, just swap out the hi pressure fitting and you're done. Also just to let you know, the pulley will swap from new to old or vice versa. The shaft is just a 3/4" shaft unless you have the really old bolt on pulley then you would have to swap pumps.