Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Overkill

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77JimmyMan, Dec 4, 2001.

1. 77JimmyMan

77JimmyMan Registered Member

What Id like to do is make the power steerig on my truck not so helpful, to decrease the power assist. It would be nice to have a little bit of "feel" to the wheel, not just being able to turn it with youre pinkie finger like I can know. Its a 77' GMC Jimmy. Would another pump from another GM (possible a car or another truck) help out? If so what should I look for. Any help would be great guys. ~Mark~

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Wow, That's a first. Never had anyone ask me how to decrease power. Let's see, there are two things that I can think of to try. One is to pull the high pressure fitting out of the pump and then the piston behind it. on the end of the piston is a 7/16' nut with a screen in it. If you will unscrew it a turn or two it will decrease the max pressure of the pump. the more you back it off the more pressure you will lose. the next thing is the spring that is even furter into the pump behind where the piston was. I ussually tell people to stretch it so I guess I would tell you to try and collapse it as much as you can. This will decrease the amount of RPM's that are required to bypass the pressure. The only other thing that I could tell you is to try a new steering gear box. Some boxes have different springs in their spool valves for different levels of assist. Like the difference between a pickup and a Caddy. Let me know if I can help any more.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

85/86 CK trucks had different PS pump internals based on manual vs auto trannies. (not on engines, go figure) Cars (maybe with V6's) would likely have less assist "built in" to the pump than trucks, since tire size and usage were so different.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?