Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering problem......help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beast388, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

On the way home from the last wheelin' trip, my steering became tight when I would turn either direction from straight ahead. One the steering wheel turned to a certain point, it would feel as it should. :(

Along with that, there is very little "return to center", which causes the wandering affect when going down the road.

I tore the box off, flushed the system, replaced the seal at the rag-joint input, put it all back together.....but it acted the same.

Has my 34 year old steering box given up? I am doubting it is the pump due to the way it feels once you turn the wheel far enough.

I have a '77 box, but the diameter of the input shaft at the rag-joint is different than my '71 box. Can I just buy the rag-joint for the '77 box and bolt it up?

Anybody have any idea? :confused:

Thanks in advance for the help. :waytogo:

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

your "retun to center" is what "caster" does in your alignment..
    what did you smack?..your tie rods and all other steering componets look good?

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, I checked all that. Once I was home, I went through the whole front end since I had it submerged in a mud hole. Even if my caster was off (not likely, since I'd have to bend something to do that) the steering wheel should still be easy to turn while driving or while idling in the driveway like it was before. :confused:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Few checks first,,

First,see if your P/S pump has ample pressure,good belt,etc..a crude test is to crimp the pressure hose shut for a few seconds while its running with a pair of pliers(use tape on the jaws so they wont hurt the hose!)--if the pump is putting out good pressure,it will cause the belt to squeal as the hose is crimped off...of course using a gauge is the right way--but not many of us have one,or know how to hook it inline to test the pressure..

It could be the box did die of old age finally--if you have a "77 box,you CAN use it on a 71 by using the rag joint from the "77 truck..I think both will have the "old" style flared fittings on the hoses--around 1978 they started using metric "O" ring fittings on the hoses...that makes a hassle when you want to put a later box in an early truck,but it can be worked around.. :crazy:

Might want to make sure a tie rod end or ball joint isn't seizing up before condemming the sterring box too...I had a 2001 Dodge 4x4 my friend had with a ball joint so rusted he could hardly turn the wheels!..and it had only 35,000 miles on it!..we nearly blamed the steering box!!..

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I think that will be what I try. That will tell me if it is the box or not, if the '77 box is good. :D

I have already checked that. I had the front end up on jackstands and I was able to turn the wheels lock to lock by hand with no problem. :)

Thanks for the help so far. Any other ideas from anyone?