Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering problem or something more sinister?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 13, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Power Steering problem or something more sinister? PLEASE LOOK HERE!!!

While driving to work today, and other times since the motor was put in my truck, I've been feeling a "shimmy" when driving over 25mph, and even more so obviously at 55+... It feels like a lag in the steering that lets go of the wheels, then grabs them again and keeps me on track. It happens once every 1-2 seconds, and is very unnerving while driving highway speeds. I am scheduled for an oil change and alignment tomorrow morning, but should I look at the power steering fluid and make sure everything is good with the pump? or does it sound like something more serious? I've tried to move the tie rod, and it won't budge between the wheels, but then again, I didn't expect to be able to move it with my hands... Could it be that the steering stabilizer is so old that it just doesn't want to work anymore?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  2. PhoenixZorn

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

From the symptoms you have described, it doesn't sound like your power steering pump is the culprit. If it were to go intermittent on you, you'd know. Steering would get difficult real quick.

If the "shimmy" is constant at anything over 25mph (meaning it WILL happen without a doubt), then you need to check all your steering compontents including your wheel bearings. Also, when you take your rig in, have them check the balance on the tires. That may help take care soem of it. I have a suspicion that your problems are not related to the PS pump.

4. PhoenixZorn

I didn't think so either, but I had to ask... has anyone else had this problem?

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I would say its your tie rod ends. Also make sure your u-bolts are on tight.

Later

6. PhoenixZorn

Death Wobble perhaps?