Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerdude69, Dec 30, 2004.

1. blazerdude69

blazerdude69 Registered Member

hey I need help. My Blazer has a problem steering. when I first get in the truck of a morning the steering seems fine even with the rpm's under 1000. But after driving around town for awhile the steering goes to **** (hard to turn) unles the rpm's are above 1200-1500 . really sucks when you are slowing down and down shifting and trying to turn in somewhere. has anybody had this problem or know what it could be??? fluid is full. belt might be a little loose but why does it work when cold and not hot?????

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Possibly when the fluid is heating up and getting thinner your weakened pump can't maintain the pressure level.

You didn't mention the pump condition so I am guessing here. Does your pulley belt ever squeal on acceleration? If the belt is good, pulley is not glazed, and hoses are in good shape with tight connections you may just have a bad pump.

3. blazerdude69

blazerdude69 Registered Member

the pump visually looks fine but that is what I was thinking. I'm going to change pumps in the morning. the belt only squeals on start up when reving the engine after that ,no.