Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering problem!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5DT, Aug 8, 2005.

1. 88K5DT

88K5DT Registered Member

I recently replaced my power steering pump and bled the system. The pump winds and makes a high pitched hum when driving, so I bled the pump again- With pump cap fastened I lifted the front end with engine off and turned the wheel back and forth about 30 times then I put cardboard under tires and sat it on the ground and turned the engine on and turned the wheel back and forth about 50 times.Afterwards I look at the pump and Power steering fluid has leeked out onto the ground and fluid inside the resevoir looks frothy. I believe the fluid is leaking from the cap but it is hard to tell(you can barely see the pump under th AC compressor and brackets). So then I take the car for a drive and it still hums and when I turn the wheel all the way and it makes a loud pop sound. It does not sound good.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks

2. Bouche89K5

Bouche89K5 Newbie

You might have to much fluid in it. Did you get any air when you bled the system? Try bledding the system with someone turning that wheel at the same time. Hope this helps.
    Bouche

3. 88K5DT

88K5DT Registered Member

I am new to bleeding a power steering pump so I am not certain as to what look or listen for when bleeding it? It is filled at ok level.
    Is it really that bad to overfill pump?

4. 88K5DT

88K5DT Registered Member

Power steering

Is it normal if my power steering is not bled properly to make a single loud pop sound when I turn the wheel all the way while driving? It also hums but I hear that is from not bleeding properly. I am having trouble trying silence my pump after recent installation.

Does anyone know what to look or listen for when bleeding the system?

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

frothy stuff in fluid would either be water or air

one or other

im not sure what you can do, other than make sure you dont have lines backwards, hi/lo

dunno,