Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 24, 2006.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a while back i had a problem with my power steering, it wouldbe very jerky when moving slow and stopped at anything under 1000 rpm. i put a new pump on it about a month ago and it worked fine. a few days ago it started doing the same thing. i thought maybe the fluid was low, it was alittle, but not much.

any one ever heard of a PS box going bad, not giving hardly any assist? its one of the only things that i don't have a spare of, so i can't just swap it to find out, ill have to buy a new/junk yard one.

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

I just looked at the rebuild kit i have i guess if it is not assisting the o-rings on the inside could be bad and it is letting the pressure bypass within it self but this is my first rebuild kit so JMO:rolleyes:

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Double check that your belt hasn't loosened up.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

old hoses??

I've seen old P/S pressure hoses swell up inside and block the flow of fluid at low rpm's before,especially if they had a sharp bend or a kinked section.....is the hose old and original??... ..its cheaper to try first than another steering box..:crazy:

5. big83chevy4x4

that was the first thing i checked, it was loose, i had no assist at all, tightened it up and now i have assist at higher rpms. it squeeks sparadicly when at low rpm and turning. its as tight as i can get it. it did the same thing as before, with the old pump.

as far as i know, the hose is original to the truck, no sharp bends or kinks. i can get a used box or a new pressure line (return is new when i put the new pump on, had a leak) for the same price. its just more work to replace the box. it didn't do it for a month with the new pump, which is makeing me wonder what it is. the pump has a life time warrenty, but doing the same exact thing, so i don't think its the pump.

ill probably go get a used box and a pressure line that is on the box and try it, i can always buy a new line.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Needs a pump. My daughters did the same thing.

7. big83chevy4x4

the pump is brand new, a few day over a month old:1zhelp:

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it's V-belt driven, the belt could be glazed. I've had V-belts that looked fine, but they wouldn't drive properly because they were slipping on the pulley. A new belt and all symptoms disappeared. :)

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The first one replaced only lasted 3 days. Check the belt like the post above.

10. big83chevy4x4

i do have a spare belt, ill try that later today.

i know it could be a bad pump, but it just seems unlikely. plus i don't want to have to drive almost 50 miles to get it warrentied and find out that that wasn't it.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'm leaning towards belt, too.

Mine does that exact same thing and I know the belt is loose. The PO installed headers and didn't do anything to support the back of the pump bracket, so it just springs back and forth.

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sounds like your new pump went bad. That is the syptoms of a bad pump.