Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, May 5, 2003.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, my power steering doesnt work when I let off the gas to go around turns or when Im not giving it much gas. Any ideas on what could cause this? The fluid level is good and there are no leaks that I can see.

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i had this problem on my truck. your PS pump is going out. i just replaced mine with a spare one i had around here. not to hard.

NITRO

3. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree mine did that same thing wasn't loseing any fluid but didn't want to help turn replaced the pump with one my buddy had on his old K5 he parted out and now works just fine...Jason

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, i may have a spare pump but its from an 85 silverado 2wd, anyone know off the top of thier heads if it will work with the hose fittings? if not, ill just swap it and find out.

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the '85 pump is for the '73 in your sig the only problem you should have is that the '85 pressure fitting (where the pressure line hooks up)in the back of the pump will be set up for an 0-ring fitting instead of an inverted flare. Easy fix though, remove fitting from your original pump and thread into your replacement pump (1" hex). If the reservoirs are different, they too can be swapped, just need a seal kit (about $10.00). Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif