Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Jun 22, 2003.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, ive been having problems with my PS and Im not sure what it might be, i replaced the pump but its still hard to turn when im not revving the engine. If i give it gas around corners it will work better. Any thoughts on this? Could me gearbox be jammed up or something? I would hate to have to remove that heavy SOB again.

2. 77k5bogger

77k5bogger Registered Member

I kinda have that same problem, my guess is that the stock power steering cant handle turning larger tires at lower speeds. Im gonna be upgrading my pump and adding hydrolic assist soon. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

When you replaced your pump, did you check and see if the pulley was turning freely? Did you mean that you also replaced the steering gear? Reason I'm asking is because You don't have to remove the steering gear to change the pump. Did you also cycle the pump to bleed the system of air?