Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big blue ox, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Big blue ox

Big blue ox Registered Member

What are some of the warning signs that my power steering pump or steering box is going bad on my 79 K5?

2. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

The pump will make a whining or growling noise. Similiar to the noise it makes when low on fluid. The gear box will have excessive play. The gear box can be adjusted to a point to take up some play. Hard to turn, when it feels like a manuel box the pump is bad. LEAKING is #1 sign usually.

Hope this helps.

3. Big blue ox

The thing it's doin is on and off. Some times it feels like the power steering just turns off but comes back on seconds later. But, the thing it does all the time is... When I am driving in a straight line it has a constent pull to the left and I constently have to adj. to the right. The truck has a 2 year old 4" lift kit , new urathane bushing and B.F.G.Mud Terrains. All of which installed by a professional.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Could just be air in the lines - try adding some fluid while it's running. One more thing to add without fail if you haven't already done so is an ORD steering brace - a small price to pay for a much happier frame and steering setup.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Is the belt slipping? When you say it just shuts off do you here a squealing sound? If you do, tighten the belt. If the belt looks bad replace it. Have you had the front end aligned lately? Bieng out of alignment will cause the wheel to pull to one side.

6. Big blue ox

This Blazer sat for 12 years before I took delivery. And it has only 22,000 miles. I had the suspention lifted the motor serviced and added the new tires. The truck ran flawlessly for 2 years and then this steering problem appeared. When the power assist "turns off" there is no noise, just a very difficult time turning the beast.Then the power system "turns back on and the system must compensate nearly throwing the truck 5 to 10 feet to the opposet direction of the turn I just made. The truck also has a Rancho steering stabilizer. The belt is original and does show some signs of being shiny and a few dry cracks, but still no noise.
    Is this the logical steps (from cheepest to more expensive)?
    1. Check fluid level while running, add if nessary.
    2. Replace belt.
    3.Remove pump and have a service tech check it's opperation,replace if nessary.
    4.Pull the steering box have it checked for normal opperation and replace if nessary.
    Have I missed anything? I built a 85 Toyota pick-up when I was in college, but never ran into any problems like this. This truck is my toy, not my daily driver. It can be down for as long as possible. I want it to be safe!
    I just received a cataloge from LMC Truck in Kansas, is there any other company I should been dealing with for my Blazer parts? Thanks to the friends who have helped so far! You guys are much more helpful then the guys at NAPA. Have a great day, and keep the faith. We are in this together

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you're on the right track[​IMG] Definitely look into adding OffRoad Design's steering box brace, these things like to crack the frame at the steering box. On another note, get your profile filled out[​IMG] There may be someone that lives right around the corner from you, and it also helps to know a little more about your rig.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. Big blue ox

Thanks Pugsley and dragricinMT for all the help. I will fill in my profile. I just read the review of the crossover steering, it sounds like it improves both offroad and street proformance. Is this something I should consider?
    Thanks!

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Crossover steering is great offroad, but isn't so great on the street, especially at speed, since most setups require that you axe the sway bar. With a 4" lift, factory steering is still good, just as long as you use a raised steering arm or dropped drag link.

10. Big blue ox

Thanks again Mr. Pugsley! I will start on that checklist on Wednseday night after work. I will post my findings. Have a great day!
    The Ox