Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72THING, Feb 25, 2002.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Saturday I went wheelin' and my power steering almost stopped assisting. During a rock crawl event, I couldn't steer my truck at all unless I revved the motor like hell while slipping the clutch. Today I replaced the pump with a remanufactured pump and it seemed to cure the problem until I was crawling around in 4WD low. After about 10 minutes, the pump started making straining sounds, but still assisted OK. Then it puked out some fluid. I am running a 2WD steering gearbox I got from junkyard. I think my box caused my original pump to die because when I got it from junkyard, it was full or cruddy looking fluid/water/grime, so I don't know how good of shape the inside is. I flushed fluid twice, but I think the steering box is overloading the pump and overheating the fluid. After it cools down, it seems ot be OK. I was going to buy a new steering gearbox, but my question is, what should I buy?? A rebuilt one at AutoZone is about $160 for a 2WD truck (i have crossover steering). I was looking at one from AGR that has a 20:1 ratio, which is supposedly designed for easier effort offroad, but I'm not sure if its worth $350. Does anyone have experience with AGR? Any suggestions? Thanks for any information. I don't want to kill this new pump, too.

PS: I have 39.5" TSLs and a front locker.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

AGR is just selling you stock parts that are painted to look cool. I would suggest replacing the box and pump again ( it should still be under waranty and then as you install the pump in the resivior and you have the main fitting out that goes into the back of the box out, pull the piston out also and check to see if the nut on the end has any washers under it or is tightened down all the way. If it has washers then take them out. If it not tightend down all the way then tighten it. This will give you a AGR pump. As far as the ratio on the box goes, ther are only 2 ratios. one is 4.25 turn box and the other is a 3.25 turn. What they call super box 1 and 2. the 3.25 turn is what they call variable ratio. If you are a serious rock crawler a 4.25 turn box is definatly a better way to go, but both will work just fine.
    If you have any more questions i'll be glad to help

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. I also e-mailed you with more questions.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd try running a power steering cooler.. I just bought a small tranny cooler and plumbed it into my return line from the steering box. I then added some fluid to top it off. Nice, quiet, cool running PS pump.

Also run a good quality PS fluid. I use a semi-synthetic.

My .02,
    John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>