Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Pulley puller/installer, nightmare

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 18, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/pspump/pspulley-2.htm
    MY SETUP IS JUST LIKE THIS

I rented a PS pulley puller/ installer from AutoZone's loan-a-tool. I'm trying to swap a double pulley onto a pump. I got the old pump off no worries. Now when I went to put the new pump on, it wasn't really threading into the shaft right. I think I've stripped the bottom 2 threads on autozone's tool. I guess the inside of the shaft doesn't have threads, I need to go het a light and look. Or maybe I didn't threads the installer deep enough.. whatever be the case, the pulley is not pressed on, and I think the tool is unacceptable (I'll try to throw some black paint on it, and maybe grind the bottom 2 threads off).
    Oh yeah, I got :mad: and tried to beat the pulley on with a board, I don't guess that destroyed anything internally did it???? :eek1:
    SO HOW IN THE HECK HAVE YALL INSTALLED PULLIES ONTO YOUR CHEVYS' POWER STEERING PUMPS?
    I'm begging for help,
    James :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

EDIT: upon closer instpection, I'm pretty sure that the chevy pump is fine thread and the tool is course thread.. Does that sound right?now I need to find a fine thread bolt/nut/washer to install it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  2. gauder

gauder Banned

Trying to beat the pulley on, not good.

3. 78Suburban

yeah, once I calmed down and came back into rationality, that dawned on me. Do you think I destroyed any internal seals or bearings? I wonder if anyone sells remanufactured pumps? or how much a new one can be had for? I may try to find one in a salvage yard.

If I do decide to try to use this pump, I'm still gonna have to get the pulley on it. So how have yall gotten your pullies on? if you used the bolt/nut/washer trick, What size bolt did you use, and was it fine or course thread? I really think that this tool may be the wrong kind of threads(course)...

Thanks,
    James

4. gauder

gauder Banned

You may have damaged the pump seals. Local parts stores usually have reman pumps, but they usually don't come with the reservoir and I don't know how to remove and install that.

I'm at work now, but I have the removal/install tool at home. That's what I use. It does have some different bolts with different threads and I just use the one that fits. Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The installer portion should use a 3/8" course thread into the pump shaft. I usually install the pulley onto the shaft then install the tool and clamp the hex nut of the center bolt in a vise and use a wrench on the nut that draws the pulley on and it works really easy that way.

6. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

Been there

I didn't have any luck even getting the pulley off when I rented one from advance auto. I stripped the threads trying to get it off. I just boxed it back up and returned it. Guess I wasn't the only one that didn't have any luck with p/s pump pullers.

Erik

7. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

I could be off base, but I'm pretty sure there's a non-threaded stub you use for pulling pulleys off. You should (ideally) get a little packet of moly lube with the set each time, you need to lube the inside of the pulley, and the outside of the shaft on the pump. That makes it a heck of a lot easier.

8. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

the installation tool should screw into the shaft about half an inch-probably 6-7 threads.hold the center bolt with your wrench and then turn the roller installer untill the outer pulley is flush with end of the power steering shaft.DO NOT EVER HAMMER A PULLEY ON.

9. 78Suburban

I figured out what happened. I think I only had it 1 or 2 threads in, to start with, so when I tried to press the pulley on, all it did was pull the threads off!! I'm gonna take the tool back tomorrow, and I am also going to try to get ahold of a grade 8 3/8" bolt, washer, and nut. I didn't think I had a set of taps and dies, but I just remembered that my grand dad gave me some a few years back... so I can fix the 2 threads I stripped.
    My only real worry is that hitting the pulley may have damaged something internally. I had a board on the pulley, and I hit the board with a jackstand handle :o oh well, that's what I get for being PO'ed :mad: I'll keep yall updated, about if it is ruined or not :p:
    thanks,
    James