Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering Pulley removal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, Oct 22, 2002.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifWell, I thought I was just supposed to used a pulley puller. So I did, one of those three jaw thingies with the big bolt through the middle. Well, not only did the pulley puller not pull the pulley, it bent the [censored] out of the pulley before I realized the pulley puller was not pulley pulling properly. Now I need to go to Pick and Pull and prospect me another pulley to pull, with a pulley puller perhaps. But I need to know the proper procedure for pulley pulling so I can pull the pulley properly without damaging the pulley.

Oh yeah, and how do I put it back on?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Go to a "good" parts house and they will do it for you. I bought a new pump,and they pressed on the old pulley on the new pump for free. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You need a puller like this one.pic You can borrow one from Autozone with a $15 or $20 deposit.

There is a little groove in the pulley near the shaft. Use the second part in the pic to pull it off. Remove the metal sleeve and put the two halves around the puller and the pulley. Then put the sleeve around them so they cant come off. I think you can probably figure it out from here.

To put it back on use the part on the left(might have to use the other bolt). Screw the long bolt into the pump shaft, be sure to catch plenty of threads. Then tighten the other part down until the pulley is flush with the shaft.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ya just need the right tool. A power steering pulley remover. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

"But I need to know the proper procedure for pulley pulling so I can pull the pulley properly without damaging the pulley.
    "

Perhaps you could peruse the pages of a Chilton's publication for the proper pulley pulling procedure. Possibly procured from a parts purveyor.

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

If you rent a puller from Autozone the puller usually has directions with it

7. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

to bad your way out west i have a pump and pully id sell ya for 15....

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

cant you buy the pump with the pulley installed?maybe a couple bucks more.i never replaced one but i had a friend that did and he ruined his pulley in the same way.we just happened to be in the army and had a pulley off a hummvee one that fit his pump.by the way your first post is like a tongue twister.so many pulleys and pullers i had to read it twice to get it strait.haha

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I think the topic has been covered by now, but I just had to commend you on your "imaginative" post!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Not too often that I laugh reading about PSP pulleys.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif