Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Pump blew out, how can I drive now????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Here's the scoop, my PS pump blew out this morning (fluid everywhere blow out) I've got to get the truck home to work on it roughly 30 miles, but I don't really want the pump to keep spinning with no fluid in there. I'm pretty sure it would lock up within about 10 minutes. Now if this were my old car, I'd cut the belt and fight it, but with a serpantine belt ??????

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i blew mine a couple years ago and just drove it home, didnt kill it..i tried putting more fluid in there.. got less than a block and it was everywhere... take it slow going home and i figure it would be ok..

jon

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would just fill it with fluid and drive right away 30 miles would be fine before you loose all the fluid again.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I got a feeling with the way it blew this morning, I may not make it 3 blocks.

When I go down tonight, I'll give it a shot with more fluid, but we'll see.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's likely just the pressure side hose blew, and needs replaced. They aren't that bad to replace, and I'd do it instead of risking the pump.

Of course, if you see it spilling out from somewhere else, ignore the above /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The pump has a lifetime waranty, so I'm not overly concearned. The hoses look fine. My BIG concearn is that the pump might lock up and screw up something else. IF the pump locks up, there is no free spool mode and is lible to smoke the belt, among other thing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

well with a lifetime pump, I'd not worry so much about it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In reality if you took it easy, I guess you could remove the whole belt. Of course the water pump won't work, (nor alt, no biggie there) and you'd have to remember that the engine temp will spike once its shut off, but if you never let it get real hot, and you had a lot of downhill, you could probably get away with it.

Don't take this wrong, but this is the reason I don't buy into serpentine pulley setups for vehicles that see off-road duty. Even out hunting it would have taken me an hour of driving to get to anywhere that I could get a new PS pump (or any other failed component) and like you said, if an accessroy seized up, and the belt broke, you are in for an even longer trip, on top of frying (potentially) the PS pump in the first place.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I second that.
    On my Jeep wagoneer there are 4 belts, and I like it that way. The other day the air pump seized, I took of that belt, nothing was affected.
    The steering pump has it's own, the air conditioning alone, and then the alt, and the water pump.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif