Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering pump for a plow pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82GMCP/U, Dec 28, 2003.

1. 82GMCP/U

82GMCP/U Registered Member

Ok I did a search and couldn't find what I need to know /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I put a PS pump on my truck (89 Chevy) to use for a plow pump(fisher style) and I put a remote resivor on to hold more fluid. Now heres my question, it seems like it has way to much pressure for the plow system cause it airates the fluid and when you shut the truck off all the fluid leaks out cause its airated /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I changed the return lines from 3/8 to 5/8 and it still does it/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. How do I make this work and not have the airation problem?? I know someone on here has dome this before. Thanks in advance

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Hmm. IIRC a PS system flows full circle from pump to steering box and back to pump. A plow, at least our meyer, uses a sort of 1 way deal. Instead of the fluid going full circle it just goes from the pump to the cylinder and is controlled with valves. I think what is happening is your pump is trying to make pressure aaa the time even when the cylinders do not need it. That is probably the source of the airation. What you need is a pressure regulator. It basically hooks pu between the pressure and return lines of the pump and cylinder valvebody. You set whatever pressure the cylinders need and any extra pressure made by the pump will be bled off into the resevior.

Did that make sense?

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

GM PS pumps have a pressure regulator right inside the pump body at the outlet. That noise the system makes when you turn it against a rock or similar is the regulator by-passing. Tom Lee, of Lee Mfg (PS systems) told me that when a GM PS pump does that, the fluid stays in the pump cavity. It does not just dump back into the reservoir. So when the by-pass opens up the fluid cycles thru the pump indefinitely, which raises the fluid temp by about 100* per second. Not good. Even if your fluid doesn't smell burnt it's probably needing to be replaced.

As mentioned above, you need an external pressure regulator. I would plumb it to route the fluid thru a cooler b4 returning it to the reservoir unless your external reservoir's capacity is measured in gallons. The internal regulator should be modified so that it never by-passes except in extreme situations. There are plenty of write-ups out there on doing for hydro winch use. You'll just need to go a little further than they recommend.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Ahh I didn't know that....good info