Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering pump, front seal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Sep 24, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It looks like the front seal on my power steering pump is shot. Its leaking pretty bad, has anyone ever replaced one of these? Can they be replaced? Or is it better to get another pump at the boneyard? If they can be replaced is it a PITA or relatively straight forward?

Thanks in advance, Rene

[​IMG]

2. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

the front seal? i just had mine off and didn't notice a seal. it looked like a 1 piece box of metal to me. could the seal be where the shaft is? mine was leaking through the pressure hose so i pulled the whole thing off, hoses and all and replaced both hoses and know it works fine. i personally wouldn't buy a pump out of a junkyard, i would buy a new one.

Phil in K.C.

3. tRustyK5

Well I'm assuming there is a seal. I've already replaced the hoses less than a year ago. Right now it is just hemmoraging all over the driveway, but the oil is coming from above the hoses. It seems to be coming from the front of the pump (when it is running) and dripping onto the hoses and then running down onto everything else.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Well it does look like they do make a "pump seal kit", however I have never, and don't know of anyone who has replaced the seals in the power steering pump. I just looked it up for your 81 Jimmy with a 350 (not sure of your motor though). - Steve</font color=blue>
    http://www.autozone.com/

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

i'm no expert, but it sounds like your shaft area. i guess you would have some sort of seal in there. might be time for a new pump.

phil

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Put a rebuilt one on my 79. I believe it was $49 for the rebuild kit and $55 for a rebuilt pump. You'll need a pulley puller to get the pulley off the old pump and install it on the new one. When you install the new pulley, ensure that the grooves line up with the crank and water pump pulleys. Make sure you check the hose connections ecspecially to return (just clamps on). If you get the wrong one, the hose will hit the crossmember.

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Dude go to Carquest and buy a bottle of Lucas Power Steering conditioner.This stuff is awesome!!!I had a leak and put some of this in and never had a problem again.It also stops squealing.I would guarentee this would work.They also have gear oil that really quites lockers down.Also they have a fuel conditioner that will open things up in the carb department!!!Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

8. tRustyK5

I just went out and bought the seal for power steering pump. I figure that since the pump works well with no noises etc. that I would try and replace the seal. Besides it was only $5.00 (fits my budget[​IMG]). I don't have much to lose except for my time. The hoses are already new so thats not an issue. I'll let you know how it works out.

Rene

[​IMG]

9. tRustyK5

Damn! I pulled the pump off and found out the seal is still good. The leak was being caused by a crack in the back of the resevoir. I guess it was a little loose in the mounts and was rubbing on the block. I welded up the crack but I have no illusions about this lasting longer than a week.

Thanks for all the reponses.

Rene

[​IMG]