Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Pump Hell Gosh Darnit!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm in the process of getting a new pump for my 74 K5, with 350. Every place I go to, the pump the hand me isn't the same as the one I took out. Which leads me to believe that a previous owner swapped one in from another application.

Mine has a pulley that is pressed on the pump. The ones the stores keep handing me have a setup for the pulley to bolt on with a key on the shaft.

Can you guys all tell me the years of your rig and if you have the bolt on or press on power steering pump pulleys. I'm going to the boneyard tomorrow to try and get the right pulley and/or bracketry.

Thanks in advance.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Huh? I thought that all the pumps in the years we run had press ons... Beats me...

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I had just the opposite problem, I went into buy one for my '79 and they gave me one with a pressed on pulley. Mine has a nut that locks the pulley on. It turned out that my rig has a pump from a '75 caprice /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Man, go to Autozone or similiar and tell them you need to look at their power steering pump book, it has pictures and hose connection types for just about every domestic vehicle. Just match up your design and cross-reference the number.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah we did that today. Turns out that my pump has a standard fitting where the high pressure hose bolts up to on the back and every pump he had in stock was metric.

I'm headed to the boneyard tomorrow to try and find better bracketry for my pump as the one I have now kinda sucks as it is. Maybe get another pulley while I'm at it.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

metric began in 80,79 was still SAE, all of them all yearsbotlto back, high pressure fitting,you can swap them out SAE for metric and metric for SAE, bolton pulley is old style, press on is later stuff, by 76 they were all press on only.
    tr7ucks had two different bracket systems in the 73-79 years alone,plus two different pulley groove counts, it kindagets complicated, wheneveri have p/s pump brackets problems on a trucki just sdwaponmanual steering boxand call it done, what style pump you need ? i hjave several around some press on and some bolton