Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering pump hitting the crapper?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 19, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well today my power steering started acting up...It always used to squeal when I went to the either left or right lock but now it is squeeling a lot more...It is fine when I am moving but when I am stopped, I can only turn the wheel 3/4 to 7/8 of a turn before the pump belt starts squealing...When the pump squeals, I notice a slight drop in RPM and the steering, as one would expect, gets very hard unless I roll a little...The fluid is a little low but it was still doing it when topped off...So is it the pump going south or the box or what?

Thanks gang...

Chris

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like it's just a loose belt. If it's been squealing for that long then the belt is likely glazed and you'll need a new one, but more than likely that's the problem. </font color>

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I would have someone watch the belt to see if it is slipping if that's not it then it's your pum starting to lock up.