Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering pump inadequate?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Feb 17, 2004.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

My truck is a 1974 K10, with a Dana 60 front and 4:10 gears. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When I have my small tires (LT 235's) installed, it steers from side to side fine, in a normal fashion, with good response.

When I install my 38" TSL radials, the steering response suffers dramatically. If I want to make a 90 degree right hand turn, I have to go pretty slow, just to allow the steering enough time to react.

I realize that with tires that size, sidewall flex, extra strain on the steering, and the fact that it ain't no slot car all come into play, but it seems abnormally unresponsive with the big tires on it.

I'm guessing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifthe steering pump is worn (belts are tight) or is simply too small. Am I correct? What kind of upgrades can I do without going full hydro steering? Thanks for any help!

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

with 38s you almost need hydro assist. you are working the stock steering overtime just to turn those tires. there is a small pump upgrade and the tap the box and run the lines to a dual acting hydrolic cylinder. do a search and it should bring up everything you need to do /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif