Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering pump not lining up... Help...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Dec 2, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK.. got the newer motor in and for the life of me it seems the powersteering pulley and the crank pulley's wont line up...

I can get a belt on there but it's at a angle.. I'm afraid it will get fried from rubbing.. it isnt a terrible angle but it def. isnt aligned Like i'd like it... The pulley on the crank and the pulley on the waterpump do line up... so it is the ps pulley...

Is there an adjuster for these?

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im having the same problem on the wifes 76...
    ok, well i am to lazy to swap the AC setup brackets off one of the pumps on my shelf and the pullys off my pump to her pump...

anyway, you have the wrong pullys and mounting brackets. the motor you put in may have had air. if you didnt swap EVERY pully off your old setup onto your new setup then i am almost positive that this is the problem. try using ALL your old stuff, or ALL the new stuff. if you mix and match them then ya run into problems. as i have found out anyway.
    maybe this is not your soloution, but it is mine, as soon as i get my a$$ in gear and do it anyway.
    Grant

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I used the only set of stuff I had... sounds like i need to find a different pump setup...

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Geno

Geno Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifCheck your water pump there are two different types for different power steering mounts, one has a threaded hole for mount and one has hole all the way through with nut on the back , check out your old one to see if the new one is different. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I looked at it the other night... I bolted teh PS pump to the threaded hole... I bet I could put a washer behind it and the other bolt holding it, the adjuster, and it would line up, or at least better...

???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the powersteering pulley and the crank pulley's wont line up...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you that the ps pump is in the bracket wrong ... I did the same thing when I got it in the bracket I saw that the pump pulley was at an angle and there was no way I was going to let that go so I pulled it out and scratched my head snd moved the pump (not sure which way I did move it in the bracket but I want to say I moved it foward and then it lined up...)
    The bracket also has a bend in it to make the pulley straight with the crank so when it is in the right way it will line up...I hope it helps....Mike