Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering pump overheating?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, May 26, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

During my last wheeling trip I noticed a lot of whine coming from my power steering pump. It had heated up and overflowed. WTF? Is this normal? The fluid level prior to leaving was fine.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes this is very possible, you can put a cooler on it.

3. stallion85

What if I just put an extended resevoir fill hose thingy that the Hydro guys use. Could this allow for heat expansion?? I think that could work. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That will keep it from overflowing, but it won't keep it from overheating. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A small cooler plumbed into the return line of the power steering will keep the temps down.

5. stallion85

Does anyone have any pic's of this pump cooler? Is this a normal problem. My pump is fairly new and so is the steering box..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a cooler for sale in the fs forum about 12"x7" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I had that problem when I went to crossover steering. I bought the smallest tranny cooler the parts store had (about 11x7) and routed it into my power steering return line. I mounted it in front of the radiator, but to the side. I have not had a problem since.

8. HarryH3

I picked up a small 11x3 stacked-plate style tranny cooler from a mid-80's Ford pickup in the junkyard. I've also seen them in some Ford vans. I think it must have been part of a towing package, since it wasn't installed on all of them. But it only cost 4 or 5 bucks and looks like it will make an awesome power steering cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have any pic's of this pump cooler? Is this a normal problem. My pump is fairly new and so is the steering box..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine started doing that while at Blazer Bash last year...now it's whining every day by the time I get to work (10 miles drive through light traffic). Steering box isn't new, but is still in good shape and the hydro-boost pump is new(ish). One fine day I will plumb a small cooler and see what happens. I now have a remote resevoir spare, so i may go with that at the same time.

Rene

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ford pickups came factory with a cooler,it was nothing more than about 3 feet of extra steel tubing formed into a "S" curve,it was in the return line--they rot out really fast around here.Have seen similar ones on suburbans in the junkyard too. Also,a friend needed a remote resivoir for his plow pump,we found a nice one on a mid 80's firebird with the 2.5 four banger in it,its not real big but it held enough fluid to let his angle pistons get full travel--best part is it was factory made and easy to install!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifThe C-60 trucks with the 366 and 427,454 motors have a nice remote resivoir for the power steering too--but the boneyard didnt want to break up the motor because its harder to sell without all the brackets and accesories.

11. HarryH3

It's easy to find PS pumps with remote resevoirs. You just have to look in the right place. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Peek under the hood of a GM van. There are plenty of those littering junkyards. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just remember that heat kills ps pumps very quickly...

I run this:

[​IMG]

It's 10x12 and has a huge fan.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Damn, that is nice. Is that set up on a toggle or on a thermal-switch?