Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Pump Removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rocky91, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I have a '91 K5 with a TBI 350, I'm trying to remove the power steering pump and bracket but there are two bolts that I can't get at. One bolt is the one holding the bracket to the cylinder head but the isn't enough clearance for me to get a wrench on cause the power steering pump is in the way. So I thought I would remove the pump but one bolt holding the pump on, I can't get off cause it is behind the pulley. I tried taking the pulley off but couldn't get it and I tried modifying a couple of wrenches to get them to fit, but didn't have any luck. Does anyone know an easier way (or correct) to remove the pump or bracket from the cylinder head?
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    Go to the nearest parts store and either buy or rent the tool that removes the power steering pulley. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif It will also reinstall the pulley when you're putting it back together.

Someone at GM should be b!tch-slapped for thinking up something that freakin' stoopid! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Must have been the same buttwipe that came up with bolts that won't let you pull the a/c compressor until you first remove the clutch. The same jerk also put one of the bolts that hold the accessory bracket on the passenger side of a serpentine belt setup directly behind the water pump inlet, so it's nearly impossible to put a wrench on. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif