Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mlrtme315, Jul 29, 2004.

1. mlrtme315

mlrtme315 Registered Member

Wondering if someone could help with this... I have an 85 with a 305 and im trying to replace the high pressure hose off the back of the power steering pump. The problem is it sits right above the frame and the only places I can get the wrench in I have about 1" of play to loosen it. I might not be the most mechanical person and ill be the first to admit it but, I should be able to change out some stupid hoses. Anyone had this problem, know of any tool that could be useful, or anything? Thanks for any help.

Mark

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Are you referring to the nuts on the steering box itself? Or the back of the pump? If it is the back of the pump I would recommend taking it off and replacing the hose.

3. mlrtme315

mlrtme315 Registered Member

Id be refering to the actual hoses on the back of the pump itself. Thanks for the advice, I figured I was gonna have to end up taking it out. Better get it done this weekend before my apartment complex gets really mad and tries to tow it away.

Mark

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

That is one of the worst things to get at on a smallblock chevy--short of taking the pump off-(not all that hard really,just a pain)you might try what I did--since the pressure hose was junk anyway,I cut it off with a hacksaw blade near the pump so a box end wrench will go on it(dont lie directly under it! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)and you should be able to get it off after 116 1/8 turns of the wrench--dont be suprised if the thing it screws into comes out of the pump with it--there is a spring and a valve in that "bung",be careful not to lose it--and be sure to note which way it goes when re-installing it.Usually I take the pump off,re-tensioning the belt is probably the worst part of doing it that way.I've had to swap about a hundred of those "bungs" during engine swaps so the hoses would fit the new pump on the "new"engine!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif