Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My power steering pump went bad today. I was wondering if a power steering pump is a power steering pump or if one brand was better then another. Are all power steering pumps created equal?

Who carries the best pumps? (autozone, checker, napa, carquest, ?)

Harley

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have run a checker pump for the last 3 years with no problem. I did replace two of them under warranty in the year before this one. I would lean for the checker/autozone for the warrrnaty. As for which is best, I would say they are probably the same.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've wondered about PS pumps. I suspect at least the valves are different based on application, and the pulleys for certain are, but I *think* aftermarket pumps require you to use your old one.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have been running auto zone brand for a while now. It has not died on me yet even with the detroit in the front

5. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

What does everyone think about going to a Heavy Duty Pump like AGR? I have an AGR Gear Box (no cross over) and was wondering if I were to put in an AGR Pump If i would notice a difference.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I will never buy from AGR again. Bought their 2WD box for crossover steering - thing overheats and locks up, tried a cooler - no help, tried the AGR pump - input shaft shattered after 10 miles :confused:. All this took up the 1 year warranty of the box according to the AGR dude. He said he would inspect it if I pay for repairs and shipping even after I explained I had been trying to get his crap working for the year (that was my mistake, shoulda returned it ASAP...).

There are high pressure pumps out there, high pressure replacement valves, or instructions on how to do your own.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Most parts stores carry the same lines...

Most of our local parts stores all carry the same brand of rebuilt stuff--A-1 Cardone is the most popular brand around here--they have a very good reputation for quality(at least they used to,I havent worked in a parts store for awhile now,but they have been in bussiness a long time,I never had too many "defectives" come back in that brand)....but nowadays with all the crap from mexico and china flooding the store shelves,its a crap shoot to get a good part anymore...even buying it from a GM dealer doesnt mean its higher quality--they are having lots of stuff imported too...:crazy: