Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering pump...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Feb 3, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Mine's leaking like a b!t#h...

How hard to replace...???

Please see my other post...

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

they're not all that hard to replace but it does take some time,,it's not the easiest thing to take off. especially if you still have the a/c pump hooked up.

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I just did mine a few months ago. It is easy. In and out in 3 hours (I have air tools, so it will take longer without). I wanted to make sure I got rid of most of the leaks, so I got a new high pressure line and a new return line. you should get all of the fluid out of the steering box as possible before you put it all back together and fill up with fluid. It takes a lot of fluid, I forgot how much exactly, but a lot. The biggest problem I ran into was I didn't have a pully puller to switch the pully to the new pump. It took me about an hour to drill out the old pump shaft and remove the dang thing. If you are going to tackle the project, make sure you get a puller specialy desiged to grab the little lip on the pully.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

4. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

If you are going to replace just the pump definatly buy the puller to remove the pulley from the shaft. It is easier and probably cheaper to buy the assembly from a junkyard and not have to worry about swapping pulleys.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

5. Those pumps/reseviours are about $45-50 with the core. I did the job in about a day, but I replaced the water pump, and fuel pump as well as all belts and hoses.

Mine started leaking as well, it was leaking from the "phantom-who-know why it's there" plug in the back that also connests to the tighting bracked...it just worked it's way loose, got in there and tightened it up and no more leak.
    As for the pully tool, just borrow one from the parts store, it's free but they put a deposit charge on you card, or you have to leave cash or check. Then when you return it they give you the money back.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Clicky: <a target="_blank" href=http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html>http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html</a>

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry. I'm one hell of a RedNeck. but I'm a computer moron. ;)'

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Now Hold On! When I had my motor rebuilt they had one of the hose outlets from the back of the pump right up against the exhaust. I put a screw driver in there to pry it back just a little and tore the damn reservoire. I went and bought a new pump from Napa- $70 I think. Tried getting their machine shop to swap pullies for me and dude told me they don't do those anymore. Why? Because the fricken puller, even the top of the line models like Matco and Snap On, have ruined brand new pumps by breaking of inside the pully shaft, You can't fix it he said so you start all over with a new pump-more money. I called many people around here (Memphis) and got simular answers. I ended up just cleaning the holy crap out of the torn area and used JB Weld to fix it. So far so good. The dealer said they'ld do it for like $35 and no guarantees. I did find a shop later that said they do them all the time for $15. I just thought I'd let you know what my experiance has been.

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

10. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. I tried swapping the pulley from my broken shaft to the new pump. I was in a bind because this happened to me on christmas eve. All junkyards and Dealeships were closed. Found a pump at a carquest that was open. They wanted about $95 for it. Bought the puller, It was only about 20 bucks-you can never have enough tools anyway. Swapped the pulley off the old shaft to the new shaft no problem. Or so I thought. by the next day the pulley had wallowed out and worked itself free to the point where you could slide it on and off with ease. The day after christmas I found a junkyard that had the whole assembly for $75 and have not had a problem since.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>