Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, Nov 4, 2001.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I recently finished converting over to power steering, and althoughI I hit a snag with the pitman arm (thanks to Kieth for selling me his), my K5 is now SO much easier to drive.

BUT! Do all Chevy 4x4's turn so damn easy with power steering? I can honestly spin the wheel with one finger at IDLE on asphalt with a big steering stabilizer! It seems that my power steering is a tad too powerful. Could it be because I salvaged the pump off a K20? I'm buying a smaller steering wheel today... maybe that'll stiffen it up a bit.

2. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure 1/2 and 3/4 ton had the same pump.

harry
    69k5

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Chevy has always overpowered their steering. It is good and bad. On my 72 Blazer I put a larger diameter pulley on it so it slows the pump down some and is a little tighter. Nice going down the road, that's for sure.

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing>http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing</a>

4. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

My truck is the same way on the road. When I get off-road, I'm glad it's that way! K-5, K-10 and K-20 all have the same pump. I think the 2wds even have the same pump.

Never said I could spell!
    '70 K-20 San Diego, CA

5. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses... I guess I'll happily cope with the Cadillac steering... Much better than duking-it-out old school with the big ol' manual steering wheel. As it is, I switched over to a smaller steering wheel yesturday, and I now I don't even have to think about steering!