Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POWER STEERING QUESTION!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clintsk5, Nov 23, 2000.

1. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

...OK...now that it's getting cold here in Kingman AZ. ...like 28 to 40 in the morning ..when I go to work...ie;..3:00 A.M. ...My steering locks up in whatever position I left the wheel when I parked it the night before....I can force it to move and then it steers smooth...but when I turn to the same position that the truck was parked at it binds there....BUT...when the engine warms up all the way it turns nice and easy....no whining or slipping belts!...This only started when it got cold...In the warm months, this was'nt a problem...oh...in the afternoon when the temperture is higher ..it does'nt do it!...I can't figure it out!..Any help?

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Posible your PW steering fluid has some condensation in it. Making it thick or even frozen.If it's old try changing it.
    Next could be the belt is greasy causing it to slipp when the pump is cold and harder to move?

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the seals on the spool valve inside the box. I wouldn't mess around, and would replace the bix.

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

My Blazer does the same thing. I just start it up about five min. before I have to leave, it works fine.$.02

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

5. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

..Thanks guys!!!...Maybe I should just park with the steering wheel totally straight, that way I could just let go of the wheel while driving to work...save some time ..I could shave or catch up on some paperwork!!!...lol

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Both my 89 and current 87 do this. My 78 k-10 does not do it. Not sure why.