Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering screw-up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. Quick question about my power steering and specifically the pump on my 90 K5 with a 350.

I screwed up and believe some how I popped the cap off my power steering reservoir (for lack of a better word) without knowing it. I had noticed what looked like a spill on that side of my truck in the engine compartment, but never did any investigating til last nite. I refilled it, but I am worried the pump got wrecked in the time I had no fluid in there.

I do have a noise coming from some belt-driven accessory but haven't gotten to "screwdriver stethoscope" it. I believe it is either my alternator or my PS pump.

Any ways to tell for sure if it is the pump. Or did it definitely break while it was dry? It doesn't seem to drive much different, steering-wise.

Thanks everybody [​IMG] .

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you ran it dry for very long then the vanes in the pump are probably scored. [​IMG] It should have been whining like mad if it was out of fluid, especially when turning the wheels. If it got dirt in it while the lid was missing then you'll need to really flush out the whole system with clean fluid, then change the pump. Rebuilt pumps aren't too expensive (unless you want one of AGR's super pumps or something). A standard rebuild won't waste the bank account. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey Harry, thanks for all the help (from all the posts!). It was whining some, but I thought it had to do with the pump or if it was the alternator, then the extra force being exerted by the working PS pump.

The lid wasn't missing. But it seemed a little easy to turn when I took it off, so I think it just popped up but didn't unscrew all the way.

How difficult is changing the pump?

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Changing the pump isn't too hard. If you have to move your pulley to the new pump you'll either need a special puller or have the shop do it for you. It's a very tight press fit onto a tapered shaft. On some vehicles, you need the puller to remove the pulley before you can get the pump off of the vehicle. I know that my '91 S-10 works that way. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

iF YOU "POPPED" THE CAP OFF YOUR PUMP WHILE TIGHTING IT, YOU MAY HAVE "POPPED" A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF YOUR PUMP AT THE SAME TIME. i WOULD CHECK THAT.