Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering stuff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Jan 22, 2007.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay so I am going to get a bigger trans cooler and use my old trans cooler to cool my power steering.

First question, how do I flush the power steering system, or how do I flush the cooler.

Second question, many of you guys use trans fluid in your ps, I will be going hydro assist, It seems to me some poeple have no problems with trans fluid and some do. Call me non progressive but I think I will use ps fluid unless someone can convince me other wise

Third question, I have a neat little resivoir that I want to plumb in to the system, the cooler and res. should go in the return line right? Does the res. need to be higher than the stock ps pump/res. or lower, or does it matter.

Any other helpful hints would be nice. The one thing I am worried about is that I have overheated my ps before and I want to get all the old fluid out of the box.

Thanks guys

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I would put the reservoir on top of the existing and send the return fluid to it if possible.

Flushing coolers is an iffy proposition. You won't ever absolutely know that you got it clean. Why does the PS system need flushing? Just maintenence, or was/is there a problem?

I figure GM used a specific fluid for each so there must be some sort of difference or they wouldn't have done it. Might have been simply to sell something else, but I am one of those who had a box start leaking after using ATF to top off a system while out in the field.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been steering 40" tires with the stock power steering system, it overheats virtually every time I go out. I know there is crap in there from it overheating and some I can't get out, but I would like to get all the old fluid out if possible. The cooler I am not too worried about I will rig up something that pushes ps fluid through it for a bit to get all the trans fluid out.