Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Suddenly quit!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Mar 19, 2001.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Hi all - has anyone ever seen/heard of a K5's power steering pump suddenly just quit without warning. Mine seems to have done this, and want to make sure it's shot before paying for a new one. It worked the other day when I went for a drive. I parked and came back 10 minutes later, and went to drive off, and no power steering. I always thought that they would whine more, and gradually go bad. I checked and there's plenty of fluid and the belt is still intact. Wierd. Thanks, Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew
    http://community.webshots.com/user/beefcake83

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine did that...It could also be the steering box. The way to check is to turn on the truck and then take the cap off the resorvoir and see if the fluid id moving around, I *think* you should see the pump turning.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

dido on that. thats the procedure in my chiltons manual

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The pump is pretty easy to replace. You get a Limited Lifetime from Autozone on a rebuild for about $30. I don't know if this will work or not, but you may be able to tell whether it is the pump or the gear by detaching the pressure hose, disconnect the ignition and tap the starter over to see if fluid flows. They work in part by centripetal force, so they need a certain rpm to flow any oil. If that flows, then you should be able to detach only the return hose and check for flow out of the gear. However, you will probably need the valve open, so one person should sit and pull on the steering wheel while the other watches for oil coming out.

The more straightforward way is to replace the pump and if that doesn't fix it, then replace the gear, but the gear is usually expensive and you don't always know if a junkyard one is good or not.

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>