Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering works intermittently

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Sep 9, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

why is it that i can't seem to get my p/s pump primed all the way? i had it out of the engine about 3500 miles ago, and it still screeches really bad when i'm not moving and am trying to turn the wheels. man, it pisses me off. makes a racket and makes parallel parking not so much fun. any thoughts?

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

My first thoughts are

loose belt

low fluid

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hey Colby. PS pumps are self priming/purging. I'd pull the belt off and check the pulley for play. If you have any play in it, the bearings in the pump are shot and it needs to be replaced. If not and it still screeches, I'd look at fluid level, belt tension, and maybe even replace the belt.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ya dude that seams to usually be the case with sqeeling belts, loose or glazed or both.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My vote is for a bad pump.

6. colbystephens

i don't think it's the belt - its nearly brand new (3k miles) and is tight... i don't want to deal w/ replacing the pump. that's a bummer.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

check this first..

Your pump might have a sticky pressure regulator valve,or some crud blocking it once in a while..its biult into the "bung" the pressure hose screws into..

Are the hoses new??..old ones sometimes get mooshy inside,and can act like a check valve or collapse and block the flow of fluid..I'm also thinking if the hydro-boost has problems,it might be restricting the flow of fluid..usually when a pump goes bad,it doesn't put out enough pressure ALL the time,and is most always accompanied by a loud whine or growl..a pressue gauge might aid in diagnosis..could be the steering BOX binding up too!.:crazy:

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

power steering pump 42.99 at thrifty auto supply

9. colbystephens

u gonna hook me up if you still work there? :)

10. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I changed two ps pumps on my rig after I did hydro steer. Before the swap it whinned and squeal also. Turned out the belt was loose. Although it didn't feel loose.

11. colbystephens

for what it's worth, it was the pump. i replaced it tonite and it's nice and smooth! man, i haven't had good powersteering in almost 6 months. incredible concept - that powersteering!

12. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Now you just gotta get the rear axle locked up on that Blazer so you can actully wheel it and not have to be yanked with a strap behind a camo burb over all the little rocks & obsticals :haha: . Speaking of which :wink1: did you ever get some tow hooks installed on your frame ? YOU need them !

13. colbystephens

nope. no tow hooks yet. btw, i ran that trail again and was able to make it thru on my own power - tho it wasn't wet at all... speaking of you and wheeling - do you ever? :haha: are you going w/ me on the 11th? i've got another method that works ok for towing if i need it... you're right tho - i really want a detroit for that 14bff. :)

14. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Money's a bit tight right now and I can't really afford to fill that 31 gallon fuel tank in the burb to just go play in the wood's . I've got to change the front spring bushing out so I can run larger bolts ( at the shackle ) . I seem to snap those 7/16 shackle bolts almost every time out :mad: . I always carry spares but it's getting really old :rolleyes: . At least I have a rebuilt front drive shaft now . I wonder how long that will last . I ran that same trail with the little sammy and it's got car tires on it and it's open front and rear :haha: . It was dry . We need to do Browns camp . I don't know what trail's are still open . Where are you off to this time ? I got some boulders delivered to my drive way so I have sort of been wheeling :haha: .

onrockindriveway1.JPG

onrockindriveway2.JPG

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006