Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArmyEd, Sep 1, 2001.

1. ArmyEd

ArmyEd Registered Member

I have a 79 K5, the power steering is not working, what power steering pumps are compatible and what parts would i need to get some power assist to turn these damn tires, i don't wanna spend $600 for new stuff, i just want to get it from a local junkyard

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I took my old pump with me when I went scavenging. There are two different types of line fittings that were used and I'm not sure which years got what. One is a flare fitting style and the other is an 'O' ring boss fitting style.

Then there are the differences in pulley location. My old pump had dual pulleys on it and the new one has a single on it...but it works because I no longer have AC.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just about any of the power steering pumps will fit *if*you get the right hoses. FWIW, you can pull the valve/fitting out the back of the pump, so that you can switch between "metric" and "standard" hoses, depending on which steering box you have.

My pressure line sticks straight up out of the box, but then loops down under the pulley, to fit perfectly. Looks kind of odd, and isn't "stock" but it works fine. Easier just to get the right pieces though, IF you can find them.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen