Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Apr 12, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Installed new power steering box and pump that I did mods to for ram, also a cooler, and a filter. Ram is mounted, just not plumed yet. Got it running and only thing is it seems as if no assit from the box. The fluid is flowing fine, the system is bleed best I can tell. The steering turns, but is like it has no assist at all. I have not adjusted the adjusting nut yet, could that be the cause, or does it sound like box/pump issues? Any help would be appreciated.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i kinda got the same problem except mine feels like it only has a little bit of help. my pump is 12 months old, and my box is the original. i am hoping messing with the box will make it right.

when we going wheelin???
    later rob

3. TheGeneral

Anyone else?

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Is it possible your bypass valve is stuck open? Sounds like no pressure. I just bolted my Redneck Ram (West Texas) on with the old leaky, wheezing hydro-boost pump and it works great. No mods, nothing (ran out of time for this week end). I can turn just by looking hard at the wheel. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I'm still gonna add the cooler but, I doubt I'll do more unless I see problems this weekend (or later).

5. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Man when i added a cooler to my ram setup i couldnt get all the air out of the damn thing and had to end up taking the cooler back off and it worked fine.How do you have your lines plumbed to the steerinig box.I know you said they werent plumbed yet but are they gonna mount to the side of the box or at the top and front?I also had a problem when i put a new pump on my rig and and it seemed to cause a lot of blown seals.My box is plumbed on the side like the agr box and i think it blew the seals in the uper neck area and it had no assist.so................................

6. TheGeneral

Well, you don't want to know why it had no assist. Major brain )*U)(* . Valve in backwards. Now it has plenty of assist, but ram is not working as needed. See my other post and give me any input. I had one cooler before, now I have two and a filter. I am thinking of bleeding it like brakes, put one end of line into a bottle of fluid and just keep flowing liguid in to see if this it it. Anyone have any speeding bleed ideas, I all ears. THanks.